Day and Time:
Mondays: 7:15-8:15/9pm Optional Dance Class
Circus Studio and Pine Hill Auditorium
Ashley Renwick, Chloe Keller, and Jon Roitman
Single Day Tuition: $200
Both Days: $400
January 13, 2023
February 4, 2023
Financial Aid Deadline
December 1, 2022
December 7, 2022
Blue Troupe focuses on taking students' circus skills to the next level. Troupers select and train in solo and/or duo acts in one area of specialty, while also training intensively in all areas of the FGC core circus skills.
Troupers collaborate in the creation of an artistic and expressive performance which is performed throughout the season at venues across New England and beyond. Blue Troupe performs for schools and camps who are working to start their own Youth Circus programs, and for other circus schools and studios to help them fundraise, and to share our way of working.
Open by audition (contact Jon) to teens in grades 8-12 who have already participated in the Flying Gravity Circus Green Troupe for at least one season, or have the equivalent experience (as determined by the Artistic Director).
FGC Artistic Director and Head Coach, Jonathon Roitman,
runs training and rehearsals, in collaboration with awesome coaches. Extra practice sessions may be called if needed to prepare a performance. Troupers are expected to practice on their own or with friends during the week.
Blue Troupe Mitosis
In 2022, we found ourselves with an overly full company -- 22 troupers in Blue Troupe, our most advanced performance troupe. Blue Troupers know that training space is tight, there’s a wide range of skill and performance experience, and our coaches are working on overdrive to meet every trouper’s needs.
Just like in 2015 when FGC split into Green and Blue Troupe, we saw an incredible opportunity to broaden the FGC experience for our troupers. Here are the logistics: Practice times for both Blue Troupes will be the same, in different locations, the Circus Studio and the Pine Hill Auditorium. The troupes will alternate between the spaces. Our current roster of coaches will be split, with 2 coaches per troupe, and coaches will be interchangeable between troupes. Each troupe will have it's own dedicated director and Jon will be head coach for both troupes (and spend equal time with each.
Blue Troupe AQUA
1) Under 1 year in Blue Troupe, or by choice
2) Year-long commitment required (Fall and Spring seasons mandatory; Winter optional)
3) Primary focus will be on (a) training and (b) creating a fully-produced, themed, theatrical, ensemble show.
4) Show creation process: youth centered ensemble in contemporary circus style with director as collaborator.
5) Requires initial audition. Does not require re-auditioning unless Trouper has taken a year off.
6) Performances: Aqua will perform at least one “run” (several performances of one themed production) with the possibility of other spot gigs. By design, this Troupe will devote itself to producing a polished, beautiful ensemble performance.
7) Trouper should be willing and able to perform. Other options for show participation will be available, e.g. sound, costumes, stage manager
8) Skills: All Blue Troupe skill requirements apply. Skills that have not yet been attained will have a practice plan to track and attain the goal(s).
9) Coaches: Aqua will share the same coaching staff and have equal time with Jon as Indigo
10) Attendance: Very strict attendance policy. Ensemble work requires commitment.
11) Attitude expectations: positive work ethic, respectful of coaches, kind and supportive to all Aqua troupers and to all other troupes (within and outside of studio)
12) T-shirt will say “Blue Troupe”
13) Choice: At the beginning of fall season, Troupers can choose to remain in Aqua rather than audition for Indigo.
Blue Troupe INDIGO
1) 1 or more years in Blue Troupe
2)Year-long commitment required (Fall and Spring seasons mandatory; Winter mandatory starting in 2024)
3) Primary focus will be on (a) training and (b) creating solo or small group acts for audition and cabaret performance. Indigo can discuss additional ideas with the director.
4) Cabaret creation process: pre-professional act-making in contemporary circus style with director as collaborator.
5) Requires an annual audition by all troupers.
6) Performances: Indigo will present one public end-of-season cabaret. By design, this Troupe will devote less time to shows and more time to training skills and honing polished, powerful, beautiful acts. Indigo can discuss additional ideas with the director.
7) Trouper must be willing and able to perform
8) Skills: All Blue Troupe skill requirements apply and must be met. (Only exception is back tuck on trampoline. Can have a single safety line if needed. Practice plan will be created to track and attain the goal.)
9) Coaches: Indigo will share the same coaching staff and have equal time with Jon as Aqua
10) Attendance: Very strict attendance policy. Pre-professional work requires commitment. Unexcused absences may result in probation or dismissal from the Troupe.
11) Attitude expectations: positive work ethic, respectful of coaches, kind and supportive to all Indigo troupers and to all other troupes (within and outside of studio), mature and professional attitude
12) T-shirt will say “Blue Troupe”
13) Choice: At the beginning of fall season, Troupers can choose to move to Aqua rather than remain in Indigo.